Saturday morning I woke up with a crave for a paleo croque-madame (it’s a croque-monsieur with a sunny side up egg on top). I used to make this recipe with white bread.
Seeking inspiration in a french blog, I found this recipe for paleo “toast” bread but I had to improvise as I didn’t have almond flour or a micro-wave ! Cassava flour and my good ol’ pan were there to save me.
Not really paleo : the gruyere but it’s a hard cheese and this is a comfort recipe so I had to add a little bit of this gift from gods called swiss gryuere.
Preparation time : 2min
Cooking time : ~5min for the bread, 3-5min for the sunny side up egg
Ingredients for 1 person :
For the bread :
- 2-3 tbsp cassava flour
- 1 egg
- a tsp olive oil (also works with coco oil or butter/ghee)
- a tsp sodium bicarbonate
- salt and pepper
For the croque-madame :
- 1 egg
- First, in a bowl, mix together the flour, egg and olive oil. Add the sodium bicarbonate and salt/pepper.
- Put a little bit of olive oil in a heating pan.
- Pour half of the dough in the pan then spread it a little if needed.
- When holes start forming on the bread, flip it and let it cook until it takes a nice gold color.
- Finally, add your ingredients, let it cook evenly and it’s ready !
If you’re making a croque-monsieur/madame : prepare the ham and cheese while the bread is cooking.
Nobody likes to wash dishes so I waited until my two pieces of bread were done and put the ham and cheese inside. I put it aside and washed the pan to do my sunny side up egg.
When it’s done, put the sunny side up egg on the top of my croque-soon-to-be-madame and let it warm up evenly in the pan for a little bit.
Results : it was really good ! The bread isn’t comparable to white toasts but it tastes good and my craving for croque-madame was satisfied. I can’t wait to re-do this paleo bread recipe with spices and aromatic herbs, I’m already tasting the oregano/basil bread with tomates ! Hmmm.
Bon appétit !